Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Sunday, May 1, 2011

"Out of the Broom Closet"

For those that don't know what it means, "coming out of the broom closet" is a Pagan's way of saying that they no longer want to hide their religion.

Personally, for me, I am halfway in and halfway out. Only one relative knows that I am Pagan, while the rest have no idea. My Mom and Twin are also Pagan, but they don't count. My father, on the other hand, has no clue. He is Christian (or so he says) and while he doesn't even know what Paganism is, I don't want him to push me aside because I don't agree with him on religion.

Coming out of the broom closet can be a scary moment for any Pagan. If you take a look at Paganism's history, you'll see what happens when people find out about "witches". People were burned at the stake, stoned, hung, and who knows what else. It is a delicate subject for anyone, especially for those who aren't educated on it. I have heard of families kicking out members simply because of it.

It is also a personal choice. Not all Pagans are in the broom closet and not all Pagans are out of the broom closet. There are a lot of factors that keep them in or out of the broom closet. In fact, there is a book called Out of the Broom Closet, which I haven't read, but most likely will one of these days. Once I do, I will tell you what I think.

I just wish this world was more accepting of ALL religions (instead of trying to bash each other) because otherwise, some Pagans wouldn't be afraid. I applaud those who have the confidence to step out and say "I'm Pagan and I don't care if you're angry about it". I wish it was like that all over.

1 comments:

cennywenny said...

I think it's simply the old truism that people fear what they don't know, and if it's not mainstream they might be frightened. I hope your family sees that you aren't any different or less lovable just because of your religion!

Post a Comment