Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Thursday, April 21, 2011

How to Talk to Pagans

A couple of days ago, a man by the name of Matt Stone posted on his blog, a "guideline" if you will, of how to talk to Pagans. I kid you not.

While I am sure he was trying to write it with the best of intentions, he failed. He even starts the post with "I am often amazed when Evangelicals find it so amazing that I converse so readily and easily with Pagans.". Seriously? What are we, aliens or another life force that sends non-Pagans shooting for cover? There is no difference between you and me. We eat. We sleep. We use the bathroom. The only difference would be our religion.

As the article goes on, he makes it sound condescending for us Pagans. You might as well change the title to "How to Talk to Kindergartners". It makes us out to be rudimentary at best, when in reality, some Pagans can quote the Christian Bible more than some Christians. Now, I am not insulting anyone. I am one of those that can't quote the Christian Bible, but don't get me wrong, I do know quite a bit of Christian history. I did work in a church after all.

Which brings me to another area. You could also change the title to "How to Convert a Pagan". If you want to talk religion with me, that's fine. Ask first because I may not be up to it. But just don't go around, telling me how Christianity has changed your life and how much better your life is because of it. It's insulting and insinuating that my life isn't great because I'm Pagan.

Pagans aren't weird little purple people running around. We're normal, like you. We go to the store. We have pets. We even pay bills. So unless you plan on approaching us like a human, don't bother.

Maybe I should come up with a way to talk to Pagans. What's better than written BY A PAGAN?



0 comments:

Post a Comment